Consumer Utility Service Complaints

CPG Compliance Complaints


The links above provide information on how to contact the Public Service Board and the Department of Public Service (Department) about complaints, including complaints from consumers against regulated utilities, and complaints regarding projects that seem not to comply with a Certificate of Public Good issued by the board (CPG Complaints).

Complaints can be filed directly with the Board at any time. In many cases, the Board will refer complaints to the Department for initial review. This is because the Department has a Consumer Affairs and Public Information (CAPI) Division that is responsible for assisting the public with complaints and reporting on complaints to the legislature.  

Contact Information

Judith C. Whitney
Clerk of the Board
112 State Street
Montpelier, VT  05620-2701
(802) 828-2358
Email the Clerk

Cases and ePSB




How do I?

Statutes and Rules