Implementation of Standard Offer Program for SPEED (Dockets 7523 and 7533)
On June 6, 2009, the Public Service Board opened Docket 7523 to investigate the development of standard offer prices for qualifying renewable generation under the Sustainably Priced Energy Enterprise Development ("SPEED") program. This investigation was initiated to address the requirement in the Vermont Energy Act of 2009 ("Act 45" or "Act"), codified in 30 V.S.A. § 8005(b)(2), that the Board open and complete, by September 15, 2009, a "noncontested case docket" to determine whether the prices established by the Act "constitute a reasonable approximation of the price that would be paid applying the criteria" established by the Act. Our Order stated that Docket No. 7523 would address the review of the Act's standard offer prices and, if the prices are not a reasonable approximation, set interim prices by September 15, 2009. In addition, the Board will consider non-price terms and conditions for standard offer contracts in this Docket.
On June 29, 2009, the Public Service Board opened Docket 7533. In addition to the mandate cited above, the Act requires that by January 15, 2010, the Board "set the price to be paid to a plant owner under a standard offer" from the SPEED Facilitator, applying the criteria established by the legislation.
The Board opened the second investigation to comply with the January 15, 2010, statutory deadline. The investigation is intended to build upon the record developed in Docket 7523, resolve all necessary implementation issues not addressed in that docket, and reevaluate the prices for SPEED projects set out in the statute. Docket 7533 was opened as a distinct proceeding primarily because the Act requires that the Board not only open the noncontested case docket that is Docket No. 7523, but also complete it by September 15, 2009.
These web pages will provide information about Dockets 7523 and 7533 to allow participants and members of the public to stay informed about the progress of the cases.
FERC Ruling on California Feed-in Tariff
On July 15, 2010, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission ("FERC") issued a ruling that certain aspects of California's feed-in tariff program were inconsistent with federal law. The Department of Public Service ("Department") subsequently filed a letter with the Board and parties to Docket 7533 stating that the FERC ruling may have implications for Vermont's standard-offer program. The Department's letter and comments filed in response can be found below.
Board Review of SPEED projects
Order Implementing 30 V.S.A. § 8007(b): Board review of renewable generation projects between 150 kW and 2.2 MW
Establishment of a standard-offer program (Dockets 7523 and 7533):
Orders Related to Implementation of the Standard-Offer Program
- Order Establishing a Standard-Offer Program for Qualifying SPEED Resources, issued September 30, 2009
- Order Re Implementation Issues, issued October 16, 2009
- Second Order Re Implementation Issues issued October 28, 2009
- Third Order Re Implementation Issues issued December 31, 2009
- Fourth Order Re Implementation Issues issued June 24, 2010
- Order Re Removal of Technology Caps issued June 3, 2011
- Clarification of Order Re Removal of Technology Caps issued June 27, 2011
- Order Re Revisions to Standard-Offer Contract issued July 7, 2011
- Order Re Allocation of Speed Facilitator Costs issued July 8, 2011
Order Re AC Capacity of Solar Standard-Offer Projects issued October 11, 2011
- Order re Motion to Reconsider AC Capacity of Solar Standard-Offer Projects issued December 29, 2011
Comments Related to Implementation of the Standard-Offer Program
Orders Related to Standard-Offer Prices
- Order Re Initial Standard Offer Price Determinations for SPEED Resources, issued September 15, 2009
- Order Re Standard Offer Price Determination for SPEED Resources, issued January 15, 2010 Attachment I, Attachment II
Applications to the Standard-Offer Program
The Vermont SPEED Facilitator maintains a website that includes applications to the standard-offer program, a well as other information concerning the program. That information can be found at www.vermontspeed.com.
Department of Public Service White Paper on the economic impact of the standard-offer program
The following pages provide additional background information regarding the Board's development of the standard-offer program and prices: